Monday, September 17, 2012

Strikes


So today I opted out of a trip to the field to plant potatoes. I was disappointed not to be going. I’m sure it would have been a good experience, and probably a lot of fun; but I haven’t been feeling well the last couple of days and didn’t think it was a good idea to be out all day in the sun (and likely the rain too) planting potatoes. I think it’s just a cold (sore throat, headache, etc.), but given that Kenya’s doctors are currently on strike, I thought it was best not to push the limits on my health right now.

I’ve been in Kenya for 3 weeks, and almost the whole time I’ve been here, the teachers and university professors have been on strike. And now, for the past week, the doctors have been on strike too. It’s interesting though that I probably wouldn’t even notice it if I didn’t read about it in the news or hear my colleagues talk about it. I haven’t seen any demonstrations or picketing or any other visible signs in town that the strikes are taking place.  The teachers and the doctors just don’t show up to work. I’ve even seen children walking to school and was told that they still go, and the principal of the school is still there, they just aren’t taught anything all day.

My colleague asked a neighbor who is a doctor what people do if they get sick, and he was told most just go to traditional healers. For those who have the funds--which is I believe is a small minority here--they can still go to private clinics, but for the majority of the population, there are less options until the strike ends. 

I also heard that some of the town's local politicians were recently on strike. Apparently strikes are very common here and are seen as the best way to get needs met. 

No comments:

Post a Comment