Sunday, September 9, 2012

Kenyan Culinary Delights


For those of you who know me well, you know I really enjoy trying different kinds of food. So it may come as no surprise that I am LOVING the food here!!  For some of it, I’m not sure if it’s Kenyan, or Ugandan, or just East African in general, but I have liked most everything I’ve tried since I got here.   From the first night that I arrived, when one of our Kenyan colleagues was making homemade chapatti, to having a “Rolex” this morning, the food has just been delicious!  I’m also trying to learn how to make some of these things so that I can cook for friends and family when I get back. :)

Chapatti
The style of local cooking, not surprisingly, seems to leverage a lot of locally available staples (rice & corn meal), locally grown greens, and legumes (beans, lentils, etc.).  Many of the ingredients are cheap and filling, since a great number of people who live in the areas we work in are poor and eat just 1-2 meals a day, often with meat only once or twice a week, at most.

Some local greens in garden by our office
So a quick run-down of some favorites so far include:

Local Yams – These are so good!  We got these from the local market and my Ugandan roommate cooked them for me.  They are white with purple coloring and have a smooth buttery flavor.   
Yams
Green Grams (Lentils) – made on the stovetop (as everything in our house is because that’s the only cooking device here) and cooked with tomatoes, red onions and curry powder. (I'll add a picture later when I have one.)

Sukuma wiki (a local kale) – cooked with, oil (we use Sunflower oil here), tomatoes, and red onions.  Delicious and nutritious!
Sukuma wiki
Beans – soaked overnight and cooked with oil, tomatoes and red onions (you may notice a trend here) and a local seasoning, Royco mchuzi mix (which I think actually goes into almost everything we eat)

Beans, ugali, yams & cabbage salad
The magic seasoning
Ugali/Posho – made from corn meal and water (pictured above).  The style we’ve been having is thicker (more meal less water) and is thus Kenyan Ugali; whereas if more water was used and it was made a bit softer (less firm), it would be considered Ugandan Posho.  By itself, Ugali tastes a little bland, but when used like rice and mixed with the beans or lentils, it’s quite tasty.  In addition, the same corn meal when mixed with a lot more water, plus milk and sugar, is made into a porridge, which is also quite tasty. :)

Main ingredient for ugali, posho & porridge 
Pilau – beef made with rice, onions, tomatoes and a special Pilau masala seasoning. This is one of my roommate’s favorite dishes. It was quite good, and has a neat unique flavor, but since I’m not big into beef, it’s not quite at the top of my list.

Pilau
Bhajia – I had these at a local restaurant. They are potatoes dipped in some kind of special spiced flour and then fried. Delicious!

Bhajia
Cabbage salad – We have cabbage salad with almost every meal, and usually it consists of cabbage, tomatoes, and red onions, and at times, carrots.  My roommates and I have a running joke about the proper way to prepare the cabbage.  My Ugandan roommate was not at all impressed with my cabbage chopping abilities, as they prefer it thinly sliced (as shown above).  I have since been banned from making the salad, and/or am refusing because of the daily ribbing.

Rolex – And last, but certainly not least, is the rolex, which I had heard about since I got here and just tried today.  It’s eggs mixed with onion, tomato and cabbage rolled up into a chapatti.  My roommate actually went out this morning to pick up the chapatti and made this for us. Rolexes are apparently very common in Uganda and can be purchased from street vendors there. It was really good, and really filling!
Rolex, as served
Rolex with a view of egg mixture inside
I think that’s about it for now. I’ve also had fish and chips, lots of rice, pizza (though it didn’t taste very much like pizza), and then we’ve made “American food” pasta for our roommate.  It’s fun to be cooking again, to learn about new foods, and to have these different cultural experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to have you cook these foods for us at Christmas! I can help with cabbage slicing :)

    ReplyDelete