Thursday, September 20, 2012

Making Ugali


So I made my first Kenyan dish all on my own last night!! I have served as sous chef for my Ugandan roommate as she showed me how to make local dishes, but this was the first time for me to make one all on my own (or almost)… 


It was our roommate’s birthday, and we were convinced that she would not do any of the cooking on her special day. So the rest of the roommates and I each made a dish. I took on making the Ugali (see Kenyan Culinary Delights blog post for more info).

I did alright for the most part, but had to be corrected when I started out by boiling enough water to make a serving size for 10, rather than 4.  So after that, I was supervised to make sure I didn’t botch it. :)  This was especially funny since there are only 2 ingredients – corn flour and water.  It’s made by boiling water, then stirring in the maize flour, and then working it into a dough-like substance until it stiffens up and becomes more solid -- which can be quite a work out.
 


The verdict: My dish was “Nice” as compared to one of the other dishes which was “Really Good” but I’m still proud. And most important, the birthday girl had a good time!  And so did the rest of us!  

No comments:

Post a Comment