Friday, September 21, 2012

Kuku House

The house is going to have chickens!  Or kukus, in Swahili.  Or chicks rather, sometime in the next month or so.  We are piloting a new chicken business, and we had to make sure the cost of materials and all logistics fit the necessary parameters. Therefore, over the course of a weekend, a chicken coop was erected in our back yard.  Singlehandedly, by one man.  Pretty impressive. The coop was constructed using tools and materials that are most likely to be available to our business owners, who are low income farmers in rural villages. The structure was put up in advance of a training session so that our business mentors would be able to accurately instruct and advise the business owners on how to build the Kuku house. I was so thrilled by the excitement of it all that I decided to capture the construction on  camera.  

Digging holes with a panga (machete)
Framing it up (I think)
Prepping the roof with some supervision
Prepping the walls for mud
Creating mud walls, as many homes are made of here
The completed Kuku coop
I was really excited for the chicks to get here, but it looks like I'll now be heading to Uganda soon for the rest of the year. But I'm glad I got to see how it all came together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment