Saturday, September 29, 2012

Special Delivery!

It was a very exciting day today!  My roommate and I went to the post office, and we both received packages.  This was my first time receiving mail in Africa. 


My first package!
At first we were worried the packages wouldn't make it before we left for Uganda. Fortunately, we made friends with someone at the Kakamega post office, so he kept an eye out for our mail, and called us as soon as some parcels arrived. 

It's interesting, I was warned ahead of time that the customs office in Kenya will search the boxes. Apparently anything that looks valuable may be removed from the box before you receive it, so you have to be careful about what you send. As you can see, it appears my package, in addition to being a little squished, also had been opened and "inspected."




Fortunately, it looks like everything made it through (though I'll have to confirm with my parents next time we skype). 




The booty! (both my and roommate's packages, she really likes Cheetos)
Quite the banner day! Unfortunately, another much-anticipated parcel made it through Kenyan customs on Thursday, but hasn't arrived in Kakamega yet. Since I'm leaving for Uganda tomorrow, I'll have to have a coworker pick it up when arrives. It will then be transported with the next person in our organization who travels from Kenya to Uganda, where I'll be staying until I go home for a couple weeks at Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment