Saturday, August 25, 2012

Kariboo! (Arrival in Kenya)

Not too much to report yet, but just wanted to let everyone know that I made it safely to Kenya this morning.  It was quite a journey, starting with a few days of training in San Francisco, then a 10 hour flight that left Thursday afternoon for London, followed by 10+ hours in Heathrow airport, and a 9 hour flight to Nairobi.  The driver who picked me up enthusiastically welcomed me to Kenya (Kariboo is Swahili for Welcome).   

I'm staying overnight here at the Wildebeest Lodge (http://www.wildebeestcamp.com/).  I then head to the bus station early tomorrow morning for an 8 hour bus ride to Kakamega, where I will be staying for about a month or so.

Here is the view as I type and wait for my room (or tent) or whatever my accommodation will be. Not too shabby!


More to come!  I'll try to send another update soon once I get to Kakamega.  Thanks again for all of the well-wishes and support!


2 comments:

  1. So glad you have made it safely... how are you surviving the weather? Hot & Humid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Val! Actually, it's been pretty cold! More like San Francisco weather, and has rained so far both days I've been here.

    ReplyDelete