Saturday, January 19, 2013

Donation Delivery!

My checked luggage finally arrived here in Soroti after going missing for 10 days.  And with it came many of the goodies that I had collected from generous friends and family while I was home.

I just wanted to thank everyone again who donated items for the staff here in Africa, as well as everyone who helped coordinate the donations of items.  The impressive haul included:
  • 4 laptop computers
  • 3 mini tablet computers
  • 2 external hard drives
  • 8 calculators
  • 8 flash drives
  • 5 computer mice
  • 3 mouse pads
  • 4 water bottles
  • A laptop bag
  • and other assorted items
Unfortunately due to weight limitations and concerns that I might get hassled at customs, I couldn't bring all of the laptops at once. So I brought two, in addition to my own that I carried on the plane, and the rest will be coming with my family when they visit next month.  Of the two donated computers I carried, one went to our office in Hoima, Uganda, and the other one came here to Soroti. The rest will be distributed among the three offices when they arrive.

The East African staff has been very excited to receive the donations and are already putting them to good use!  Since there is still a shortage of laptops here in the Soroti office, a couple of my colleagues are sharing one of the computers.


One coworker taking his turn on the donated laptop 
Another coworker taking advantage of the laptop when available 
The water bottles that I received from a family friend were also a really big hit!  I never even thought to ask for them, but am so glad to have received them. They arrived just in time for one of our trips to the field on a particularly hot day.  


Our assistant country director with her new water bottle 
Since it's not always easy to travel around the country here, I have donated items set aside for the other offices that are on standby until someone is making the journey to the other locations.  I think the additional contents for the Hoima office will be moving with a coworker going there next week, and the items for Kakamega, Kenya may have to wait to make the journey in a few weeks.

Items set aside for the Kakamega  and Hoima offices 
Everyone here appreciates the thoughtful and generous donations and sends their Thanks!


Our Uganda country director with his new laptop bag 








No comments:

Post a Comment