Friday, October 26, 2012

Random Fun Thoughts & Pics

Just thought I’d share some random experiences and photos that didn’t really fit neatly into another blog post. 

Some of my favorite interesting East African sayings:
  • “Are we together?” – translation: Are we on the same page?  Do you understand what I’m saying?
  • To be pressed – translation: to need to go to the bathroom (#1).  Used a sentence: “I was so pressed, but I didn’t want to pee in the bush.”
  • To “flash” someone – translation: to call someone and then hang up, so they have your phone number and can save it to their cell phone.  

Funny experiences:
Fitness: While running here in Hoima, I get the typical “Hey mzungu!” from the boda drivers and “Mzungu, how are you?!” shouted at me from many local children.  I got two new ones last week.  One was when I ran by a man, he shouted at me “You are doing fitness!” and I thought, yes, why yes, I am. Then as I was running back home and trying to to make it up the big hill on the road near my house, a man yelled at me “You are fit!” and I thought, well, I’m working on it!

Scaring babies:  When we went to a neighbor’s house the other night, we were invited in to the living room, and the neighbor carried in a really cute little girl, who appeared to be less than 2 years old. When she saw us she started crying. I didn’t understand what she said, but between sobs, she kept stammering, “Mzungu, mzungu” between tears.  I’ve heard that some small children in rural areas are afraid of white people because we are are rarely seen and so foreign to them, but this was the first time that a child cried so spontaneously and vigorously just at the sight of me from across the room.

Fun photos:
I’ve posted some of these pics on Facebook before, so for those of you who I’m connected to there, you may see some repeats here.

A local brand of honey with a sense of humor:

For when you're just not in the mood...

A gigantic papaya with an oddly creepy surprise inside. At least it tasted good! 

Nalgene bottle included for scale.

Weird foreign objects found inside papaya
Cool birds I saw outside our office window in the avocado tree while working in the afternoon.  A friend told me they are either yellow or red hornbills...like Zaazoo from the Lion King.

Visitors
Cool double rainbow seen from our front patio after one of the many torrential downpours that we’ve experienced here during rainy season.

It was too big to fit in one photo

Complete double rainbow
 Sexy chocolate. No further comments needed, I think.



Water Crisis Update:
By the way, as an update to the last post, we did get running water back after 4 full days of being without. It was glorious!  I never thought I’d be so excited to wash my hands or flush the toilet without needing to maneuver a huge water jug.  Since we got the water back, the power hasn’t been on very much, but I’ll take what I can get! 



No comments:

Post a Comment